Outreach, Mission and Services
- January of 2020 marks the one year anniversary of volunteers attending the weekly Food Cupboard at Emmanuel. Unfortunately, as with other agencies throughout the country, our Food Cupboard is seeing an increase in use. .
- Again in 2019 we were the fortunate recipient of a generous donation from the Mixed Dart League of the West Ferris Legion, in addition to individuals dropping off items for distribution.
- We are always looking for non-perishable goods to give out. In particular demand from Food Cupboard users are powdered and canned milk, cereal, canned meat and fish and fruit.
- Outreach volunteers have also given their time to go shopping for the Food Cupboard, putting items away and keeping the storage room in order.
- A big thank you to one and all who so generously donate.
* Winterlude Luncheon and a Maudy Thursday luncheon in conjunction with the Worship Committee.
* At Christmas we were able to be extra generous with the residents of Emmanuel Village, giving out $25 Metro gift cards (purchased through EUC’s Avgen prepaid cards), as well as fruit baskets.
* Outreach spent about $745 on the gardens at the Village.
* In keeping with our agreement in this outreach initiative, we have continued to make quarterly payments to the Village and Myrna Bennison and Brenda Cooper continue to fill the role of washer and dryer coin collectors. Thanks to you both for the time you give to this.
* In the spring, Emmanuel raised $1,380 for the Sudbury-Manitoulin Alzheimer Society’s Walk for Memories.
* We support the Alzheimer society by paying rent for its art program being held at the Bert Passmore Hall every Thursday morning.
* The West Ferris Community Brunch is another event that Outreach continues to support, having donated $1,500, as well as sharing some food items.
* A call for donation of clothing for a program run by the Indigenous Friendship Centre was answered with a donation of clothing in the amount of $393.65.
Mission Giving for the 2019 year
The Mission Giving goal for 2019 was $7,000 and Emmanuel donors exceeded that by $725.50. That amount includes a top up of $600 from the UCW. A big thank you to everyone who gave to Mission Giving in the past year. Donations from Emmanuel helped the United Church Canada provide assistance to 94 global partners in 22 countries acting for peace and justice including community and justice work across Canada with 64 community ministries and 36 chaplaincies; theological education and ministry support at seven theological schools and two educations centres; faith formation and leadership support, including dozens of grants for youth groups; support to all 13 Conferences and operating grants for 11 Conferences to support staff as they provide leadership and grant for 84 pastoral charges to support worship, pastoral care, education and mission. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.